Saturday, November 26, 2011

GRATEFUL

This years Thanksgiving was nothing out of the ordinary. But it was a nice day! We all gathered at my Mom's for a cozy yummy dinner.  As the years have gone by many things have changed, our family has grown and the grand kids are now having kids this means that we are not always going to be able to be together. This year Melissa and Jeff and their two new baby girls were not able to join us and Cody kids were with their mom! without them we had 15 of us.  I had Tuesday off so Landon and I ran over to help my mom get the tables brought in and set and when Thursday came around it was nice to already have that done. I went over early to help my mom with the last minute preparations for the family feast. Dinner was set for 1:00 pm as many of us had other obligations in the afternoon.  With all that it takes to get ready for this day it is sad at how fast it is all over with!  with that said....it is also such a fun day to be able to be with family to laugh and catch up on every ones lives!  I am so happy that we all get along and can get together without worrying about anyone feeling like they might be left out!  soon after dinner Bill and Tanner headed out the door, they are heading to a bike camp in Boulder Nevada, this is Tanner's Christmas present. I asked him how he was going to feel on Christmas morning with not much to open and he said "Mom this gift will give back to me my whole life" OK I said you remember that on Christmas morning!  then Landon headed off to his girlfriends house, Ron;s family headed over to Shellie's Moms and Gordan and Sandy went home.  This kind of left me stranded but Mom and I go over to visit with Wanda then she brings me home.  I always hate the end of the day on a holiday when my Mom has to go home to an empty house, these are the days that make me miss my dad the most!  My dad was a home body he loved his home and rarely wanted to leave.  He was very content being there and very much preferred people coming to visit rather than he visiting them.  and he loved the holidays even though he tried to pretend he didn't we all called him the Grinch and his favorite holiday saying was "Bah Hum Bug" he would say it trying to look all mean but a smile always crept through!  He is very much missed!  I feel bad that my boys don't remember him much at all Landon was only 4 and Tanner 2 when my dad passed away, it seems so unreal that it has been 14 years since he has been gone. Things seem to go on no matter the pain, so its best we go on with a smile and a good memory or two! and I have plenty which I am so grateful for!  Our family memories are such good ones we had a good childhood and many happy times as adults with him too!  I am happy there are no regrets! and Most of all I am happy to call him Dad!  Happy Thanksgiving.....Remember to always give THANKS!

1 comment:

Polly B. said...

I love simple messages that uplift and fill you with peace. Thanks, Linda!