Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

This being Memorial Day brings to my mind and spirit a reflection of my past. I remember when I was young the excitement of this weekend, it meant fun times! I loved the family times, going to a BBQ getting all the flowers for the graves of my Grandparents. and the times of going to the cemetery to put the pretty flowers on the graves, meeting up with cousins, aunts and uncles, just being with family and friends. It also meant the beginning of Summer! But now that I am a lot older and having many other life experiences this weekend means something more now! I reflect on the many Men and Women who have sacrificed their life and changed their families lives forever so the rest of us can continue on with our own lives being free to do what ever we want. I am truly thankful for their service to keep America the America we have always known. Then next I ponder about how death has changed my personal life and how different things could be if the people I love were still here. I think about how life would be with a 18 year old daughter just getting ready to graduate from high school with the rest of her life challanges ahead of her. Wondering where her road would be taking her, and what kind of choices she has made and will make? It all is a blur it has been so long since I have seen her, but yet I can still see her sweet round face with her big blue eyes. and can hear her little giggle. I wish for just one more embrace with her, to hear her say Mom. But this was not meant to be. I am sad at times and relived at others because she did not have the face the hard times of being a teenager trying to figure out who she wants to be, she knows who she is and what her future holds, it's the rest of her that has the battle to carry on to be the best we can be to get where she is. I am gratful for the peace that I have that she is Ok that I will see her again. I LOVE you Jailee with all my heart! To my Dad that has been gone nearly 12 years, the man I loved and still love. I am gratful for the presence you are in my life for all the wonderful things you taught me. You are the rock of our family. The one we went to with our concerns. you gave us peace and strength to do what was right. you taught us well Dad. Thank You. I miss you, mom misses you and so do your grandchildren. We are sso happy to know that we will see you again. Love you with all our hearts!!

So now you know why my feelings for this weekend have changed over the years. I just have one thing to tell you all and that is don't take your loved ones for granted. Life has away with changing things up and tomorrow you may not have the chance to give that last hug, kiss and to say I love you. so take that opportunity to day pick up the phone or take a drive, but by the days end tell someone you love them! I know I will!

No comments: